Sunday, April 3, 2011

Great Day for a Rummage


Today I was so lucky to get to go out on my own for a few hours to sample the wonder that is Suitcase Rummage. This is a monthly extravaganza where lovers of all things old and vintage get together to unload their little red suitcases full of clothes and shoes and all sorts of wonderful old bits and bobs.

It was held in Brisbane Square which is a lovely open area at the top end of Queen Street. With the grey skies, slight nip in the breeze, gorgeous grey stone paving, steel sculptures and an eclectic mix of bohemian fashion it felt like stepping into Paris for a few hours.



This was the gorgeous Anthea who had unpacked directly adjacent to one of those giant steel baubles and displayed all her hand made treasures on vintage plates. She took the cake for vintage style in my opinion.





While wandering I came across this artfully displayed collection of crockery, buttons and fabrics. Now this was right up my alley for collectables. After choosing some fabric, the finder of this treasure had to share with me the story of it's origin.

Kimberley told me that she had found the fabric at an estate sale of a very frail elderly lady whose husband was packing up and selling most of her treasured possessions. She had been the shipping mistress for a spanish shipping company based in London and had collected fabrics and buttons and furntiture from all over the world and brought it all back to Australia in shipping containers. She had never had children and had accumulated all these glorious things in her house on Bribie Island. Hopefully she would be pleased to know the lovely floral fabric will be lovingly made into a dress for a little curly haired two year old.



While chatting to Kimberley I explained that this was my first Rummage after learning about it all from a gorgeous blog that I have been following. Lo and behold right beside her was Laura from Kit and Nancy . Laura writes and photographs for her blog with the kind of experience that would make you think she was actually a vintage icon herself. It was nice to put a name and face to a fellow blogger with such a flare for finding and displaying vintage treasures.

Kimberley has  a regular day job but her true passion is also the thrill of the find and she spends many of her weekends at estate sales, garage sales and op shops. She has a very new blog about her adventures over here so lets pop over and give her a  rousing welcome to the blog world.




This one was for Legoman. Earrings and rings made of lego bricks, parts and minifigures. He's hoping they can custom make some cufflinks for him .


So, what did I find on my travels? Best find was this groovy bag for $5. Complete with pvc lining in the event that a pear is inadvertantly left in there ( I think I've previously admitted my issues with handbags and fruit). Overall it was the combination of chenille ( love it) and the mustard colour that made it a complete winner.


And the fabric with it's own story - the blue floral one, but the others are wonderful too.



So, see you all at the next Suitcase Rummage  on the 8th of May. Oh yes, my fashion tip from spending a day with many many groovy childless 20-somethings......... black floppy felt hats appear to be the IT item.

7 comments:

  1. it was lovely meeting you mel and your words are just so kind! glad you had a good afternoon rummaging and i adore your finds. look forward to seeing what you make with the fabrics. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet you had sooo much fun! I love your little blue house!Found you via another blog I will be back ! Stop by and visit me and feel free to follow if you so desire either way I will be back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mel, suitcase rummage has been on my 'to do' list, just haven't got there. Good on you for going, your goodies are fantastic and an added bonus you got to meet some fab Brissie bloggers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. have always wanted to get along to one, maybe next month!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Man o Man, what a fantastic place!! I would go nuts!Thanks for sharing, look forward to see what goodies you find next time...so exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mel. thank you for the mention, it was a pleasure talking to you and finding out about you and your magical little world. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that looks like so much fun! Shame I live so far away... :)

    ReplyDelete