Thursday, November 24, 2011

When the op shop delivers


I love it when the op shops deliver a pile of colour to bring home. And all at miniscule prices. The glass situation had become critical at our place. Clumsiness runs strong at our family and we had not only broken all the glasses we had ever purchased but also the two freeby Coke glasses we had been given somewhere along the way. I not only found the two lovelies above but also eight heavy plain drinking glasses, all 50 cents each. Legoman was impressed that the op shop was starting to deliver essential items and not just vintage sheets.

The pyrex was $4 , the pillowcase $1 and the books 50 cents each.


There is nothing better than finding a Golden book that you loved as a child but haven't seen for thirty plus years. That Runaway Squash  book was mine but didn't seem to survive with my other collection, so nice to find one to share with my own children. The other three are all Golden books that I haven't seen before, all circa 1974 and all with a pure gold spine and fantastic colourful 70's style illustrations. Miss Liongirl was also very pleased with her new melamine bowl and matching plate and had to use them for her next meal.

Roboboy has very specific likes in books and probably the ultimate for him would be clever animals inventing machines. Can you believe that the op shop delivered that too. He was so excited he made me read it twice the minute we got home from school.


I could even pick his favourite page in advance.


He does have a thing for reptiles too, this was a close second.


Meanwhile I have been dabbling with this colour.


And let me leave you with a few words of inspiration for my next post. Vintage Tupperware Toys. Boy did the op shop deliver.

14 comments:

  1. Aren't those books a great find. And your kids are so cute to love their new books. I love the op-shop for essentials. Drinking glasses are great.xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mel, had a few good oppie finds on the trip, but not enough. We are in Victoria now so I am looking forward to the motherload. Thinkin my priorities are a bit wrong as I scour the main streets of country towns for an op shop. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the big shot of the huge drill with the animal driving. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. FABULOUS - I love the way you write mel. so funny. you always make me smile. Bec x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow! I love that Pyrex, and the glasses. Those days when you score so many fabulous bargains are the best xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a groovy little kitschy pattern on that Pyrex and I've never seen those Eager Reader LGBS before either.
    Lovely mustardy colour, or is it gold for Chrissy decs?
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh no.3 son would love that book,have to keep an eye out.Very happy glasses,lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haven't popped in for a while and I'm just loving all your colourful finds and goodies. So cheerful and happy.

    Very impressive stool reupholstering in past post.

    Big smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your glasses and that pyrex is mighty funky. I'm having to give away normal pyrex now as it's been squeezed out by the older prettier pyrex.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Mel, love those glasses and the Pyrex. I think I have come across that pattern before but left it in the shop because I was going to focus on mixing bowls (but that didn't lst long).

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a pop of colour! And I really can't wait to read your next post...

    ReplyDelete
  12. great finds Mel. Thought I had seen that sheet before, I have the same in green. Love the paint colour too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. FANTASTIC finds! I love the golden book. Love the pics on the pyrex too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. vintage books and pyrex = awesome op shop haul! love this! i am now keeping my eye out for a 'runaway squash' to add to my golden book collection! eek!

    kel x

    p.s - you should definitely stop by rummage on Sunday!!

    ReplyDelete