Thursday, March 15, 2012

Thrifting the rain away


With all these grey skies and constant rain, I have a mouldy back door and the endless hum of a dryer keeping me company at Betsy's. So I decided it had to be time for some midweek sunshine, oppie style. Time to bring home some colour to cheer my soggy spirits, so to speak. And boy did those colours find me. The orange salt canister was 50 cents, the tray was $1, the sparkly mouse was thrown in for free and the gorgeous floral and mint tablecloth, $5. As an unexpected bonus, I have discovered that I am  completely "on trend" with this purchase as according to this talented girl , MINT is the new mustard.

Today at Betsy's it seemed to be a lot more about orange.


Pyrex with a LID, a miracle really, $5. The Enid Blyton's turned up for 20 cents each and just in time, as Roboboy and I are on the last chapter of The Magic Wishing Chair for bedtime reading. I love these hardcover versions, they match my three copies from the Faraway Tree series that I have had since I was  a little girl and I love that my little collection is growing.

And lastly some things for the kidlets. Any mother out there will understand that finding lego or duplo at the oppie is like GOLD. The base plate, bus and trailer appeared in perfect condition and came to a total of $6. Roboboy whisked them away immediately and has embellished them into all terrain vehicles complete with rooftop gardens. The snippet of blue floral corduroy was obviously, well corduroy. The green lidded bottle is for a plan Legoman and I are hatching, and Pollyanna was on my New year resolutions list to read this year.


So, I know this post was nothing at all like what I suggested was coming next. Can you please just consider it a cheeky interjection from a girl who is coming back down to earth with the demoulding of her back door. Back soon, with a post containing everything this one was meant to have.

13 comments:

  1. Hi Lovely Lady!!!! Have missed you! Loving your finds and I smiled a huge one when I saw your green lidded glass jar. My Nonna and Nonna send over lentil soup and chick pea soup and even fish soup in those!

    Lego find is brilliant! Looks in great condition. Ahh the books, that is tremendously exciting! I hope the sun has shone bright your way with these vibrant colours. xxx gemma

    ReplyDelete
  2. bargain finds mel. I LOVE the teatowel. I have the same green lidded jar that belonged to my gran. in response to your question about lulu's dress...it was made by her godmother(aka rosa's room, lucky lulu gets all rosa's hand me downs)

    ReplyDelete
  3. how marvellous! oh how i am craving some op-shopping joy. next week! bec x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! That's what I need- op shoppin' good karma tomorrow. Ron and Brian's is on the way to my appointment. Thanks for the idea!
    I have NEVER seen Lego in an op shop. Lucky Roboboy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you,
    I need to get my opping on!!!
    oxox Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that 'mint is the new mustard' tablecloth and yes yes yes to the Lego! I also collect it... Sometimes a piece at a time LOL. Orangeness always finds me too. Excellent treasure :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. No opshopping here for over a week, but it's on the cards for today. Great finds, Love the Pyrex design and the pretty tablecloth. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am always envious of your finds, I think i tell you that every time too...
    I have the perfect set of clear/orange canisters that would match your finds! Can never have enough Orange I say! : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love orange Mel, it's such a happy colour. I'm glad your finds helped to cheer you up.
    Can you send me your address please so I can pop your skirt in the post. I have emailed you but it might have ended up in your spam folder...
    (thanks for being brave and c.i.f.)
    Have a lovely weekend x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh, wonderful treasures! I just love the Enid Blyton books (they are never that cheap around here...).

    ReplyDelete
  11. You certainly have a knack for op shop finds! I know what you mean about not blogging about what you promised. I was deluded into thinking that my reno was moving at a cracking pace just because it did for 2 or 3 days. Pace has slowed RIGHT down. Deck roof completed yesterday but took until today to photograph it because of the pouring rain! Bummer about the mouldy door!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mum has one of those green-lidded jars,and I have the Brownie book from childhood.There's nothing wrong with this post,I enjoy your oppy finds probably as much as you do.Great lego finds!It is absolutly pouring down right here.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, excellent finds! I am constantly on the lookout for tablecloths like that, but never seem to find one ...
    We have a row of Enid Blytons that my girls have outgrown (but I haven't outgrown enjoying their covers!) and the same edition of Pollyanna on our shelves ... My girls have DVDs of two versions of Pollyanna, the Hayley Mills one and a later one (British?)

    ReplyDelete